Vegan, nut free, soy free, gluten free recipe.
A super flavorful meal filled with fresh vegetables and nutty-tasting wild rice (with no nuts) all tops with oven grilled mushrooms marinated in classic Italian herbs. The most time-consuming part is cooking the wild rice. A solid vegan meal for 2 to 3 people or great for meal prepping.
Wild Rice Plate with Marinated Mushrooms
Cook Time: 45 min
Active Time: 20 min
Passive Time: 25 min
8 oz/225g cremini mushrooms (button mushrooms also work)
1 c/200g wild rice
½ tsp/3g salt
½ c/75g diced yellow onion
1 med/160g zucchini
½ c/45g sliced sun-dried tomatoes
1 med/170g red bell pepper
1 tbsp/15ml olive oil
¼ c/60ml olive oil
2 tbsp/30ml balsamic vinegar
1 tsp/1g dried parsley
1 tsp/1g dried oregano
½ tsp/1g ground pepper
½ tsp/3g salt
- In a medium pot combine wild rice with 3 ½ c/825ml water and ½ tsp/3g salt. Cook on medium-low heat for 40-45 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- Combine all ingredients for marinade in a medium bowl. Whisk to blend.
- Clean and trim stems from mushrooms. Add to marinade and toss to coat. Allow to sit for 15 minutes, tossing occasionally to redistribute marinade.
- Dice onion and slice sun-dried tomatoes if not already done.
- Slice zucchini into very thin 1/8”/3mm rounds.
- Remove veins and excess seeds from the red bell pepper and cut lengthwise into 1/8”/3mm strips.
- Heat broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place marinated mushrooms cap side up on prepared baking sheet. Reserve the remaining marinating liquid.
- Cook the 1st side for 5 minutes under the broiler.
- Remove from oven and flip the mushrooms with a spatula or fork. Return to oven and continue broiling other side for a further 4 minutes or until mushrooms are slightly soft and a bit wrinkled.
- Heat 1 tbsp/15ml olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add diced onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring regularly until starting to become translucent.
- Add sliced zucchini. Cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is just barely soft.
- Turn off heat and add sliced peppers and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir and toss to soften peppers slightly.
- When rice has absorbed all the water, transfer to a large bowl and add cooked vegetables.
- Add the remaining marinating liquid and toss to coat everything.
- Divide onto plates and top with marinated mushrooms.
Best enjoyed warm, but can also be eaten cold or reheated by lightly sautéing. If storing for later. Keep remaining marinating liquid separate and toss with other ingredients when ready to eat. Can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days.