Learning to make basic homemade bread is a great way to spend time in the kitchen. Not only is knowing how to make bread a really cool skill to have, but it’s also a super fun activity (especially punching the dough!).
Cookware you’ll need
- A large mixing bowl
- Loaf pan (glass or metal) – You can buy one on Amazon
- Rack for cooling (optional) – Amazon
- Sharp knife for cutting
Ingredients for Basic Homemade Bread
- 2 packages dry yeast (Purchase on Amazon)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 5 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon sale
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions for Bread Dough
- Crumble the yeast.
- Add salt, sugar, water, and a well-beaten egg.
- Add the oil.
- Add flour, working in with a spoon, then with your hands.
- Drape with a cloth to rise till doubled in size for about an hour.
- Form into two loaves, pinching underneath to seal.
- Put in warmish place and let rise till double for about an hour (under a light works well).
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes, turning around a couple of times in the oven.
- After cooling a while, slice, and butter.
Punching the Bread Dough
Punching the dough down is the fun part about baking homemade bread – you can even make it a family tradition!
This event of punching the bread dough serves as a time landmark and brings you back to the kitchen to signal the need to get organized and finalize meal plans. The wonderful smell of yeast and fresh bread baking makes preparing the rest of the meal a delight.
Variations on Easy Homemade Bread
The flour can be white, wheat, or a combination of both.
Make cloverleaf rolls after Step 5 by placing three rolled-up large marble-sized balls of dough in the bottom of each muffin tin, and they will magically take shape in the oven.
Experiment with putting small amounts of cheddar cheese in the center during Step 6 before sealing on the bottom.
Any cook can make basic homemade bread and will find it is easy enough to get around to often. Who knows, another day you might even want to fix cornbread!